Monday, December 15, 2008

Teen Mental Health

You watch your child as they grow up and understandably every parent has certain expectations of him or her. But we do have to remember that the teen years are not only tough for the parents but for the child too. Adolescents are under stress to do well in school, be liked by their peers, get along with their family and make important life decisions.Most of these pressures are unavoidable and worrying about them is natural. But if your teen is feeling extremely sad, hopeless or·worthless, these could be warning signs of a mental health problem.

Many people think that young people do not get mental health problems and brush them aside. The real fact is young people DO get mental health problems that are real, painful and can be severe. They can lead to school failure, loss of friends, or family conflict. Extra care and attention would need to be exercised should your teen show any of these signs that may point to a possible problem.

  • Is angry most of the time, cries a lot or overreacts to any situation
  • More anxious or worried than other teens
  • Grief for a long time after a loss or death
  • Is extremely fearful - has unexplained fear or has more fears than other young people
  • Is constantly concerned about his or her appearance or physical problems
  • Feels guilty or worthless a lot
  • Unable to sit still or focus attention
  • Has poor concentration and cannot make decisions
  • Frightened that his or her mind is getting out of control
  • Loses interest in things he or she usually enjoys and does worse in school
  • Has unexplained changes in sleeping or eating habits
  • Has persistent nightmares
  • Avoids friends and families - wants to be alone all the time
  • Feels that life is hard to handle and talks about suicide
  • Hears voices that cannot be explained
  • Has the need to perform certain action several times a day
  • Uses alcohol or other drugs
  • Continues to exercise or diet excessively although is already very thin
  • Eats large amounts of food and then forces vomiting, abuses laxatives, or takes enemas to avoid weight-'gain;
  • Often hurts other people, breaks the law or destroy things
  • Does things that can be life threatening

3 comments:

clairelouise said...

I love this blog I would read it along when i was blogging from ny blog A boy with Aspergers, i still do. I just started a blogspot blog and have added you to my links. http://mindsatlarge.blogspot.com Hope thats ok:) I just think your post are ace and make for top reading:)
Claire Louise.x

clairelouise said...

Yes this is so true. When I was a teen ( Fell's so long ago ) I always fault my mum was against me. She don't understand me was what I told friends. I think it's very easy for a teen to become depressed. But yes a very worring time also for a parent. There is a lot of bad stuff happening in the world right now. My children are only 6 and 8 but I know im worried sick about whats to come with them teenage years.
Ps loving the blog.

Polly said...

So glad I found your blog! I have to follow you so I can read more. I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard right now. Mental illness still is so often misunderstood by many (in fact most) people.